Announced this week, Live Dead ‘69 is slated to perform the classic Grateful Dead live album, Live/Dead, in its entirety for the first time ever at The Hall at MP in Williamsburg. The show is scheduled for Friday, May 12th, and the set will also include other classic Grateful Dead songs.
Live Dead ’69 is comprised of the original Grateful Dead pianist, Tom Constanten, who played the keys on each track on the original Live/Dead recording, Mark Karan, lead guitarist in Bob Weir’s RatDog and The Other Ones (which featured every surviving Grateful Dead member), Slick Aguilar of Jefferson Starship, and RatDog members Jay Lane and Robin Sylvester.
Live/Dead was the first live album ever released by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded over a series of shows in early 1969, and was actually the first live rock album to use 16-track recording. Drummer Bill Kreutzmann comments, “It was our first live release and it remains one of our best-loved albums. Its appeal was that it took great ‘you-had-to-be-there’ live versions of songs like ‘Dark Star’ and ‘The Eleven’ and put them right in people’s living rooms.” In 2003, Rolling Stone even ranked the album number 244 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. Below find the track list, as well as a the full album available as a free stream on YouTube.
1. “Dark Star” (Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Robert Hunter, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Ron “Pigpen” McKernan, and Bob Weir) 23:18
2. “St. Stephen” (Garcia, Hunter, and Lesh) 6:31
3. “The Eleven” (Hunter and Lesh) 9:18
4. “Turn On Your Love Light” (Deadric Malone and Joseph Scott) 15:05
5. “Death Don’t Have No Mercy” (Reverend Gary Davis) 10:28
6. “Feedback” (Tom Constanten, Garcia, Hart, Kreutzmann, Lesh, McKernan, and Weir) 7:49
7. “And We Bid You Goodnight” (Traditional, arr. by Grateful Dead)
Live Dead ’69
Performing “Live Dead” In Its Entirety with an All-Star Band featuring Tom Constanten (Original Grateful Dead Pianist), Mark Karan (Guitarist from Bob Weir/ RatDog), Slick Aguilar (Jefferson Starship, David Crosby Lead Guitarist)
Friday, May 12th
7:30 PM EDT (6:30 PM Doors)
The Hall at MP, Brooklyn, NY
18 years and over